In this episode of CyberPHIx, we take an inside look at Health Information Exchange security and privacy issues.
Health Information Exchanges (HIEs) play a critical role in improving the continuity of patient care across healthcare entities and geographies. HIEs often operate behind the scenes to coordinate the secure sharing of information across healthcare entities.
Organizations considering using or interfacing with a HIE will benefit from this podcast discussion about security and privacy trends with Nick VanDuyne, Executive Director at NY Care Information Gateway and Brian Selfridge, Meditology Partner.
Listen as Nick provides an insider view of risk management security issues and approaches including:
- Key questions to ask when evaluating HIE or Regional Health Information Organizations (RHIOs). Specifically, how to evaluate the security and privacy controls of the entity.
- Challenges faced by the “big data” aspect of an HIE or RHIO. How do you reconcile the security and privacy expectations of a wide range of disparate stakeholders that share and use health data (hospitals, state agencies, and others)?
- The use of security certifications to provide demonstrable assurance of security controls to members and business partners.
- An insider view of the inherent security strengths or vulnerabilities of healthcare data communication protocols like HL7, DICOM and newer HIE-specific protocols such as DIRECT.
- Opinions about emerging technologies and security considerations for the next wave of innovations poised to hit the healthcare market.