The move to digital healthcare is advancing innovative uses for health information that also introduce unforeseen risks to patient privacy. Federal and state regulations are playing catchup to stem the tide of privacy breaches and harm to patients as information disseminates across disparate healthcare systems and platforms.
In this episode of The CyberPHIX, Meditology ITRM Partner Brian Selfridge sits down with First Health Advisory CEO Carter Groome to discuss trends in privacy controls, regulations, third-party privacy risks, and more.
Highlights of the discussion include:
- New federal interoperability rules that are promoting the “unleashing of data” for care, treatment, and research
- Congressional activities and proposed privacy bills
- State privacy regulations including California’s CCPA regulation, Utah’s privacy regulations, and more state movement on privacy requirements
- Third-party privacy risks and audit models
- Google and Amazon’s movement into the healthcare arenas and privacy impacts for large scale healthcare data sets